Linking To A PDF/Word Document From Your Menu
The directions for creating a link in your menu to a PDF or Word doc are identical to the directions at page-links. However, here’s a bit more detail specific to PDF/Word docs.
- First, log into your site as an admin
- Next we need to upload the document and get the link to that document. For this purpose, it’s fastest just to follow the directions outlined at linking, specifically steps 2-9. I realize the goal here isn’t to create a text link to a document, but to instead create a menu link. However, unless you happen to know the absolute url to your file, this is the easiest way to get it.
- Once you have uploaded the document and selected it in step #9, you should see a box showing a url. The url will look something like this: /Data/Sites/1/documents/YOURFILE. You need to copy that url.
- Next, click New Page, give it a title and choose the appropriate parent (to determine where the link appears in the menu). If the page already exists, just go to Administration –> Add/Edit Pages, find the page in the list you wish to redirect elsewhere, and then click the gear icon to edit the page’s settings.
- Finally, for the page URL, use the fully qualified url. In this case, it will be http://www.yoursite.com/ and then paste in the url you just copied. The final url will look something like this: http://www.yoursite.com/Data/Sites/1/documents/yourfile.doc (or .pdf).
- Save your page